Just a Song Sunday: Matching the Song to a Client

Did you know, that as music therapists, we have inner knowledge of an amazing therapeutic medium that can be shaped and adapted to any and all clients with a modicum of effort?

Of course you did. You are a fellow music therapist who has studied music theory, psychology, neurology, and the theory of music therapy.

Can you explain what you are doing with the music during a therapeutic music experience to support your client in his or her goal attainment? Do you think about it or do you just do it?

I go between just going on instinct and really analyzing the music I am engaged with during sessions, but I can often identify the ways that I shift the music to either lead clients or follow clients. I know when I am matching the tempo of the music to a behavioral indication. I know when I am changing the tempo and the volume of the music presentation to assist a client in calming. I know when my music just isn't working with the group of clients that are before me. I (eventually) know when to change the music stimulus to support my clients.

I can do this with and through my music, because I am a music therapist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA