Thoughtful Thursday: Chance Encounters and Advocacy

I started my break with a donation of two violins to the music therapy department. I now have to remember my string classes (good thing I still have my strings method instruction books) and remember how to play. Apparently there will be more instruments coming from a generous donor who got a hold of my therapy wish list.

My department is rarely on the donation side of things for some reason. Our marketing director applied for a grant a while back, and she spoke to me about what I do at the facility so she could complete the grant. She was staggered at what happens during music therapy. She attended a couple of sessions and appeared to understand what went on. Later, I found out that she had a brother who had Down Syndrome and who loved singing and playing the guitar. He passed away recently, and I think that seeing our kids playing instruments and engaged in making music made her remember her brother. She brought us his guitar - a half-sized, very well loved instrument. After she spent some time with me, she remarked that she wished she had taken some time to be around the music therapy room earlier.

It always amazes me how some encounters can lead to advocacy.

If we hadn't needed some grant funding, I never would have received two new violins.

Apparently the music therapy advocacy at my facility is continuing without me. I was unaware that my requests were on the wish list. I may be getting some other string instruments. Maybe a drum table. Maybe not. I don't know for sure what is listed so there will be some surprises coming after break. 

This was a great way to start my therapy hiatus. 

I now have a different type of challenge - relearning how to play the violin. I have to be able to play enough to impress my students. Fortunately, I know the theory, but unfortunately, I do NOT have the technique! I'm going to dig out my string methods book and start at the very beginning (a very good place to start!). There will be some bad, scratchy sounds emanating from the music therapy room in the next several weeks as I try to figure out how to be a violin novice.

For the next week, however, I have a break from being a full-time therapist.

This is the first day of my early summer break. I have six days before I need to take some stuff to the church where I work for the annual rummage sale. Today's plan is to clean out the car (including washing all the windows and vacuuming every surface), grocery shopping, and a webinar tonight about therapeutic music experiences with adolescents with developmental disabilities. There will also be a nap at some point - my first day of break found me up at 3:40 am. Eventually, I will settle into a more "normal" sleep pattern, but it hasn't started yet.

It is time for a hiatus from the day-to-day.

I'll see some of you tonight for the webinar. The rest of you, thank you for reading. Keep up the good work that you do on a daily basis - you never know who is watching and advocating for you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA