Thoughtful Thursday: Roles I Play

I am a dabbler in many things. I am a musician, an occasional poet, an artist, a crafter, a writer, a mentor, a knowledge-seeker, a technician, and other things as the mood strikes me. I am always interested in the roles we all take during music therapy sessions simply as a part of our regular routines.

As a music therapist, there are times when I act as leader. There are other times when I am follower, model, supporter, translator, mediator, focus, magnifying glass, teacher, and learner. Sometimes I flit through all of these roles (and more) within a single session time.

Just as a reminder for me later on, on this day (which happens to be my nephew's second birthday), here are the roles that I am taking, both in my personal life and my various professional lives:
Currently I'm...
reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman
watching Death in Paradise
thinking about CMTE pre-approval and course content
fussing about getting everything done that needs to be done during this busy Holy Week
craving pecan pralines from Disneyland
enjoying cat yawns and stretches
wishing for more sleep, less stress, and better communication with many different people

As I go to work today, I will strive to be a negotiator, musician, and interpreter. I will spend time trying to be the best I can be - the best person and the best therapist for the kids who come to see me. I will play the roles that I am called to play during this day. I will be gentle with myself if I am not able to be perfect, and I will strive to pay attention to the ones who are with me during the day - strive to focus on their needs more than my own.

I think that's all a human being can ever do. Strive to be the best in the roles they take on.

Happy Thursday, all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA