Music-Filled Monday

It is Monday, and I am trying to adjust to the facts that I've not been sleeping well and that I have to go to work. It's interesting that I can't sleep on weekdays, but I have no problem sleeping on weekends. Maybe I'm becoming more like my mother than I want to admit - she had anxiety-related issues with going to work.

Anyway, I've been thinking about what the day will have in store for me and for my clients. I have no idea of what I'll do during sessions, but something will come to me. Last week, we played music therapy games and made music using hand-held percussion instruments. Next week is the Musician of the Month reveal, but this week has no real direction - yet.

I always strive to fill my sessions with as much music and making music as possible, but I have lots of adolescents who actively resist making music in front of their peers. I don't push them into making music, but it gets lonely when they don't want to sing, and I do. Some of my groups engage in their own music projects - some make music videos, some are learning how to play the piano, some are opting to engage in social interaction that is not music related, some just want to use the iPod.

After the three groups that are scheduled, I will have an afternoon that is mostly empty (only one individual session - the others were scheduled over by other therapists). That time will be my time to experience my own preferred music - making it and listening to it. I've been taking time to play the piano. I think I'll take in my Beatles book and practice some of their songs - I have a client who identifies John Lennon as a preferred artist - I'd like to bring some of Lennon's music into the session. I will fill my afternoon with music.

After my clinical responsibilities are finished, I'll start my documentation and then see what else needs to be done. I have thank you notes to write and the next two special events to start arranging. Then I'll bring myself home to see what needs to happen for my various other business ventures. There will probably be little to no music at home, but who knows?

Go out there and fill your Monday with music.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA