...and Other Duties as Assigned

This week is one of those weeks where most of my attention is centered on something other than my role as music therapist. At the bottom of the job description that I was given 22 years ago, there was a phrase "and other duties as assigned." That one little phrase leads me into doing things that aren't technically my responsibility, but that are something that I can do.

For example.

This week is the special event that we have every year. When I first arrived, it was a daytime prom for our high school students. As our students became more involved on the psychiatric spectrum, we found that a prom was not something that they could handle well. We changed to a party - less formals, more casual dancing and dress. When we switched principals, she decided that we should have a Luau for the entire school, so we did. We now have a new(ish) principal who prefers to delegate (rather than the last principal who micromanaged everything). This year, the person who had coordinated most of the past events left, so there was no one to take over. Four of us stepped up and started the process. I am one of those four. Two of us ordered all the decorations, craft projects, and the like. One of us designed and coordinated the t-shirt. I get to be the primary communicator and buy the food.

I am going to buy the food this afternoon. We are going to have fruits and vegetables. I know there will be people who complain that we don't have any cookies, but too bad! (My attitude is usually that anyone who complains can organize the next time. It's amazing how quickly the complaints stop!) We have quite a bit of stuff happening between now and Thursday afternoon at the end of the event.

There are many different things that I do that fall under the "other duties as assigned" categories. Taking people to use the bathroom. Mopping up after accidents. Talking to staff members about behavior management. Generating course content for our behavior management trainers. Attending meetings about things that are not music therapy related. The list goes on and on.

It is the same with all of the jobs that I have and have had in the past. There are many things that won't get done if someone doesn't step up to do them. These tasks can be as simple as picking up a piece of paper in the hallway to as complex as planning an annual special event. Someone has to take care of things. I try to be one who steps up, but not for everything. Tasks should be spread out among all of the staff members, not falling on the shoulders of one person all the time.

I am going to spend my time finalizing the food for our event today. I will enjoy the opportunity to shop for interesting and unusual fruits and vegetables. I am going to take some time to leave my music therapy role behind and get into the role of special event planner. I will do my other duties as assigned. It will be a good day.

Happy Monday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA