Thoughtful Thursday: pooooooooo--------------- The Cat Typed the Title, I Swear!

NOTE: This post is not for the squeamish. If you are offended or easily disgusted, I would suggest that you skip this completely and move to one of my other posts. Could I suggest one with the label "Music Therapy Moments?"

I don't usually resort to bathroom humor to get attention, but I really didn't have much to do with the title this morning. I typed the first part - the Thoughtful Thursday part - and then Bella cat walked over the keyboard and typed the next part. It made me laugh.

I decided to keep the title as it seemed apropos of what has been happening in various areas of my life lately. One of my clients whispered to me yesterday, "I have diarrhea." I know of two other people right now who are struggling with good bowel health, and it's always a concern in my life - but, I digress. Trust the cat to get down to the basest of base elements and express that in her own direct way.

No matter how much we may try to pretend, poo is part of the life of every person.

I was an experienced care giver when I started my career as a music therapist, so I was aware that it was part of my responsibility as a helper to take care of all the needs of my clients. As a part of that equation, though, I also found that it was important to know my own needs as well. I can handle any and all body fluids except for vomit. I am a sympathetic puker and just cannot handle being around someone who is vomiting.

There was vomit yesterday in the music therapy clinic. There I was, singing to a group of people, and one of my clients decided to make himself vomit. I had other people who could take care of him, so I tried my best to think happy thoughts and not focus on the fact that this client appears to enjoy vomiting. I had to turn away. Now, if the same client had a bowel accident, I would be able to complete all of the care necessary to clean up the space and the client, but I couldn't even touch the trash can after the incident yesterday without heaving.

One of my music therapy friends, Roia, gave a presentation a while back about Taboo Topics - things we don't really think about teaching or even talking about during music therapy education/professional life. Body fluids are something that we didn't address during my education, but like I said, I was an experienced care giver, so they weren't really something I needed to talk about in my educational process. I know others who have been surprised that you need to sometimes take care of things that may not be the most pleasant of experiences.

When I was interviewing for my internship, my ID went through all the standard interview questions. "What do you hope to learn during this internship?" "What are your strengths?" "What are your weaknesses?" The last question was a bit strange.

"How do you feel about runny noses?"

The question took me a bit aback. I wasn't expecting that question at all. Nothing in my mock interviews had prepared me for something like that. (I've since taken that question as one of my own internship interview questions! Thanks, Sheryl Kelly, music therapist extraordinaire!!)

I thought for a moment.

My response?

"Um, I'd rather wipe them than watch them run."
 

The point of the question? My clients are and always will be messy. Body fluids happen. Care givers have to give care - both musical and bodily. As a helper, I had to be ready to do just that - help my clients do whatever they needed at the moment, and who doesn't need some extra, gentle, and caring attention from another person when we are sick?

I got the internship.

Today I will be venturing back out into the world, the messy, messy world. We'll see if there is any more poo talk - probably, since I am surrounded by those who are struggling, and I apparently am a safe person to talk to about bowels - but the takeaway lesson is that a good therapist follows whatever happens with  clients - the good, the bad, the messy, the gross, the undesirable - WHATEVER!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA