Positive Focus

I think I'm still getting used to this entire time change thing. I've slept in twice this week and am exhausted. You would think that I would have acclimatized, but, no. I think the pattern of Spring Break (AKA, not having to get up at all, much less at a time when I could get ready for work in a relaxed manner) messed up my routine.

As a result, I have a handy situation on which to blame my less-than-stellar therapy sessions this week.

Actually, that's not really fair to me. I only really had three less-than-stellar sessions. The other 11 sessions were fine, and there were some great moments in there as well. Why do I tend to go straight to the negative? Hmm.

Anyway, the 11 sessions that went very well are the ones that I want to focus on right now - moving myself away from the negative and towards the positive. This week, two clients used their communication devices to direct me towards specific interventions. One of the clients typed the name of a song into the iPad with assistance only on how to spell alligator. That client had never really seemed to pay attention to what was going on before. Obviously, this client was paying attention. Positive! Another client indicated several musical styles on the iPad, and I was able to improvise a song about enjoying different types of music and how we can all have our own preferences. I also have some types of music to use during sessions with this client - I know more about preferences now.

I developed a new behavior tracking form yesterday. I am hoping that it will help me keep track of several important data points that I want to focus my treatment around.

Today is my preparation/planning day. I am going to spend it organizing the stuff that I have in my cabinets and my offices. I also have to finish my clinical documentation (I am horribly behind!), so that comes first (always client needs come first), and then I will organize. I have a couple of tote boxes that need to be cleaned out and organized. When that is finished, I will have a place for a guest chair in my office - something that will be very important when I have interns again.

Speaking of interns, I've received 8 inquiries about my internship program in the past four weeks. Not bad for only being active for a month. We'll see how many folks actually submit applications, but several seemed to be seeking start dates as soon as possible. I will not compromise my requirements, but I find myself excited about being a music therapy trainer again.

I think this week will end better than it started. It started with tears and it should end quietly. I like the quiet better than the tears.

Happy Friday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA