Just a Song Sunday: Random iTunes Song Analysis

Today, I've decided to use a random song from my iPod to demonstrate the process that I go through to analyze the music that I use during sessions. I started my iTunes library and used the first song that showed up on my shuffle function playlist.

The winning song? Celebration, by Kool and the Gang!

Because I am a visual learner, I tend to organize information a bit more easily when I can put it into something I can see. I go over to my favorite graphic organizer program (Inspiration 9), and get started organizing the elements of the music. Unfortunately, I cannot find the original file right now, so I will have to replicate the form for use later. Sigh.

So, since I can't show you how I think about music, I guess I'll have to tell you how I think about music.

For me, it's important to isolate different elements so I can easily make adjustments to the elements in the moments of therapy. If I go through this process before clients enter the room, I can then focus on the elements of the session that are brought by the client into the relationship and the music.

Celebration, by Kool and the Gang - Written by Donald N Medder, Warren Williams • Copyright © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Roba Music, Warner/Chappell Music, Inc. Made popular in 1980 and something that I roller skated to every time I went to the roller rink. Interestingly, wikipedia considers the genre to be "Post-Disco." I've never heard of that genre before. Depending on the version that you have, the song lasts between 3:39 and 5:00 minutes. The melody consists of choruses and verses. The tessitura is approximately an octave (I don't have all of my categories, so I'm not sure if I'm finding everything I need to talk about). The melody is familiar to most people in the US since the song is used often in movies, at sports games, and social events. The accompaniment includes a repetitive figure and the harmony is in a major key - the progression includes I, IV, V, vi, and ii chords. The tempo is approximately 120 beats per minute. The lyrics are centered around a happy occasion and the verses could be easily adapted to reflect words relevant to each client. I could use this in therapy for a dance break, or lyric substitution, or to assist a client in focusing on positive experiences/memories.

I really miss my chart. I'll take the time to replicate it later today.

The thing that makes a song into a therapeutic experience is how the client and the therapist respond to it in the moment. It is how the client reacts to the music and how the therapist reacts to the music. It is how the client changes the music to make it their own - how the client uses the music to progress towards personal goals and growth - how the therapist assists the client in finding that progress.

I find that I can see more options and find more ways to use specific songs when I understand the music that I am working through. That's why I spend time analyzing music - so I can further understand my tool and my modality. It also helps when others question why they need a music therapist to help clients achieve goals - I can speak specifically about why I change musical elements based on what the client brings to the experience.

Happy Sunday, all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA