Thoughtful Thursday: Getting to Know You Again


I did it.

I finished the first sessions in my new room setup, and it is interesting how different things are already, even though things aren't completely organized or settled yet. 
The view from the door

I am enjoying the new, larger space. I think the clients will as well. We spent most of the time yesterday roaming the room and figuring out what was in the cabinets. Group members started on the carpet, sang an opening song with me, and then were given the opportunity to explore the area. There were tables with books and fidgets. There were choice cards for playing the big instruments that are usually kept locked away in the cabinet.
What will eventually be the center area
The big instrument area
The group area - looking at the office door


Some of the clients acted as I expected. Some of them started off refusing to move around the new space. They sat and looked around. It took them some time before they moved around the room, looking at things that were out and available. Some of them took advantage of the freedom from the very first moment, trying everything once before settling on something. Others waited to see what the group leaders were doing and then mimicked them. It was interesting to watch what was happening with my clients (some who are VERY familiar to me and others that are brand new!) and to watch how they interacted with their environment.
The stereo and my cabinet



We spent time moving around, trying things out, and finding our familiar favorites. Eventually, everything will have its own place and things will be running somewhat smoothly.

The office - the least organized of all!
This move has shown me several different things about myself as a therapist. First of all, I do best when I know where things are and how they work. My clients seem to do better that way as well. (That's not a big surprise, but it's good to be reminded every so often.) Also, a new environment makes for interesting sessions - getting to know each other through a new place to interact. It interests me that a new place makes me more creative in my ideas of what therapy can be. I hope some of that enthusiasm and creativity rubs off on my clients.

Next week? I start introducing centers. Center one is called "Explore." "Listen" and "Learn" will be introduced later this month until they are fully implemented in February. More on those ideas later.

I can't think about this anymore - time to scrape snow off my car and proceed slowly to work on our first snowy school day in a long time. I am hoping that the superintendent calls it a snow day, but who knows. If it is a snow day, then I will get a chance to see all of the residents in my facility in my new room. There will be more exploration, but snow day sessions have their own plans, so there will be less roaming and more music therapy process going on.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA