One Thing at a Time

This morning, I awoke very early with a list of the things that I have to get done running through my head. This, unfortunately, isn't all that unusual for me, but the nature of the things on the list were a bit different from the usual. Today's list included filing taxes for the non-profit I work for, filing my own taxes (I'm almost ready for that one), starting a presentation I'm giving in two weeks but that is due on Saturday, new recordings for my website, doing laundry so I could wear my uniform today, finding resources for the sermon I have to give on Sunday at one of my other part-time jobs, and coordinating the upcoming Online Conference for Music Therapy.

This is the time of year where I get overwhelmed by things very quickly and have little to no motivation to do what I should be doing. This is the time of year when I spend lots of time in "self-care" which is not really "self-care" but is "avoiding my responsibilities." That is going to end today.

Today, I woke up early, fussing about what I needed to do, and made the decision to do something even though it was early, and I might disturb my upstairs neighbor. Then I remembered the countless nights that I am awakened by barking dogs, loud music, people stomping over my head, and decided that I don't really care if the sound of the laundry is too much for them (it really isn't that loud, but you never know). This decision has led me into the next step - finding a theme for my presentation two Saturdays from now - it's time to get started on that thing.

I want to get to the point where I can run through my home without stepping on anything. To that end, I am going to pick up three things every morning and every afternoon when I get home from work. Today's three things? The reusable shopping bags that I have collected. They have a place, but I don't always put them back into their place. This morning, I will put them in their place (it's in the back of the car so I will actually use them while shopping). Come to think of it, I need to put a super sticky post-it note on my dashboard to remind me that they are in the back of the car...

It is time to focus, so I am going to use the tools that I have to help me with that process. I will make my lists, check things off, and chip away at the tasks in front of me.

Shopping bags. Here we go.

Comments

  1. MJ, I especially appreciated: the whole overwhelmed because there's too much going on issue and the goal of walking through one's home without stepping on anything. Just...relating. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA