Thoughtful Thursday: Recovery and Celebration

I took a day off yesterday to celebrate something that's been a long time coming - my release from care for a work-related injury. Eighteen months ago, I ripped my left Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) completely. This was during a behavior management situation with a client where I twisted the wrong way after being pushed. As a result, I've had 18 months of braces to support the knee, surgery, pain medications, crutches, therapy, and now, release from care.

My knee doesn't feel exactly like it did before it got broken, but it is SO much better than it was before surgery (which occurred exactly one year from this day). The recovery process was tedious and at times excruciating, but the therapy worked and I am able to walk with confidence now. I am still hesitant about jumping and running, but I am going to work on those movements to decrease my anxiety. I am guessing that eventually my knee will feel normal to me, but it doesn't quite feel that way now.

Anyway. I took yesterday to celebrate the end of this particular process. I didn't do anything that far out of the ordinary, but I did spend some time shopping for holiday gifts and I did some laundry as well. I ripped more music to my computer and played video games. It was a good day. After the day, I went out to my part-time job as director of music at a small church and invited the people of the parish to celebrate with me. We did, through prayer.

I cannot imagine ever having to do this again, but I now know that I can make it through.

Today, I head back into my regular routine - therapy sessions and documentation, music and musing about my clients - but yesterday was a day to celebrate what happened and to realize that the future is wide open.

Fellow music therapists, go out there and celebrate something in your life. It may be something complex like an 18-month recovery process or it may be something simple like noticing a sunrise, but find something. Celebrate the simple fact that you are where the universe wants you to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA