How to Say What I Feel About 2016 and 2017??

I have tried to start this post several times today. I was sitting in my parents' family room, next to my sister, trying to write something that would represent what I feel on the brink between the old and new years. It just wasn't coming then. I feel that it is coming now - kinda like how nausea indicates that something unpleasant is happening - I hope this isn't that unpleasant, but no promises.

2016 was difficult for many of us in the world. I faced big personal and professional challenges and disappointments. Others lost parents, children, loved ones. There were shootings, hateful actions towards others, and a general feeling of disconnection with many different things including government and each other. We lost many icons in the world of entertainment. Things did not seem to go as planned for many of us out here in the world. 2016 is going to be over pretty soon, for all of us.

2017 holds the best gift of all - an uncertain future.

Who knows what the world will be like at this time next year? I certainly don't. Here's what 2016 has taught me about 2017:
  • Things happen. I can either choose to engage or disengage. It is up to me and ONLY to me how much I get involved.
  • There is always a solution. I may not like what others want to do, but there is always a course of action that is available to me.
  • Working hard gets results. At this time last year, I was depressed, lonely, and starting the process of physical therapy. I worked hard on all of those things, and this year, I am ending in a better place than I started. That is good. Most of that is due to the work I put into changing circumstances that I could change, and trying to work through the emotions involved with things that I could not change.
  • Others hurt. I am not alone in my struggles this year. Others have issues, concerns, and situations that are important to be aware of as I go through my interactions with them wherever we are.
  • There is hope. You may have to go out and find it, but there is hope out there. Hope for a better understanding of each other, for a better future, for love, for peace, for the best of humanity to shine brightly.
Happy 2017, music therapy people. Let's make it a wonderful year for our clients, for others around us, and for ourselves!

10...9...8...7...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA