Finally Friday

This has been a long week, full of differences and changes in schedules. We had an all-school event, Body Venture, on Tuesday. The event, an interactive, walk-through approximation of the body, required cancelling services, setting up the entire thing, and then tearing down the entire thing. It is always interesting to watch my clients interact and experience the event. There is just something a bit disconcerting about walking through the small intestine, isn't there? There's a video of this event at this link.

The trouble with events like Body Venture has nothing to do with my clients. They seem to handle changes the way they always do - it's with me! If my schedule is changed, I seem to get a bit discombobulated - out of sync with my role in the world. I didn't get to see two entire classes of kids this week. I missed the time I usually get with those classes.

In addition to Body Venture, we also had the annual holiday dinner. I usually don't go to those things (mainly because I am a curmudgeon who doesn't think that my social committee dues should go to catered lunches for the committee rather than for employees, especially when they don't run events when those of us who have to work days can actually attend, but that's a long story, so I'll just leave you all there!), but I had to go this time because I was recognized for 20 years of service to the facility. I had to go up front and listen while the principal talked about me. I had to do something that I absolutely hate - stand there and smile. There's been lots of that this year.

This entire month is going to be an exercise in patience - FOR ME! We have a special event of some sort every single week that will require me to cancel music therapy services, and I think I'll be moving to my new, larger, somewhat intimidating room next week. That will mean cancelling everything, even opportunities for groups to use the music therapy space for non-music therapy activities. It will also mean physical exertion and a BRAND NEW SPACE FOR MUSIC THERAPY INCLUDING AN OFFICE OF MY OWN!!! I'll be in the new space by the end of the calendar year and ready to go for the new one.

Today is a gift. I will be going to work for the morning, and then scooting out since everyone else got 4 hours off due to bad weather. I worked my extra time earlier in the week, so I am taking those 4 hours this afternoon. I will spend that time buying songs for clients to use, redoing the iPod, and finishing up the next edition of sing about songs (due tomorrow!). I may also update the website - who knows?!?

Enjoy this day. Make music. Be mindful. Friday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA