Website Wednesday: The General Google Search

Today I did something that I suggest people try every so often - a general search on Google to find out what's out there. I started with the term "music therapy websites" and found the usual - AMTA, university training programs, and some familiar bloggers and business owners. I looked at several of the sites to see what they put on their websites. It is always interesting to see what's out there.

The second search I did was a vanity search. Yes, I typed my name into Google. I recommend that people do that every so often just to see what's out on social media - ESPECIALLY when you are job-hunting. It's important to know what others can see about you. My results were to be expected - blog posts, things I've written or recorded, links to my pages, websites, and therapeutic music experiences. I kept going until the links were unrelated to me - only a couple of pages of results. Nothing really surprised me.

The last search I did was a topic that I find interesting and underdeveloped in our field - music therapy philosophy. There were four sites above my first philosophy post (I ranked #5! Personal goal achieved!!). Most of the results were for programs that offer Doctor of Philosophy degrees in related studies, not philosophy statements or discussions. I did find a pdf of a paper that Barbara Crowe wrote in 2004 for Music Therapy Today entitled, "A complexity science-based theory and philosophy for music therapy practice and research." This is something to digest in my early mornings in hallway duty.

I love it when a general search ends up giving you something that you didn't know you needed.

I'm off to read about complexity science-based theory and philosophy!



Crowe, B. (2004) A Complexity Science-Based Theory and Philosophy for Music Therapy Practice and Research. Music Therapy Today (Online) Vol. V (3) May 2004 available at
http://musictherapyworld.net

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA