Thoughtful Thursday: Thanks

Okay, I'm warning you, it's Thanksgiving, and I'm feeling a bit sick, so be prepared for sloppy writing... You've been warned.

For some reason, Thanksgiving mornings tend to be the ones where my neighbors decide to have their domestic quarrels out where all of us can participate. Four years ago, it was a father throwing out a mother for her drug use with her four teenagers screaming just outside my door at 4 am. I called the police. This morning's altercation was significantly calmer than that one, but it woke me up none the less. One of the couples from upstairs was out on the lawn, fighting. I think they were fighting quietly - I couldn't really tell with the fans on - but something woke me, so I think there was some door slamming going on at one point. The situation ended when the woman walked off and the man left in his truck. I didn't have to call the police.

Long story short, I think that this day has the potential to bring out the best and the worst in all of us, but I feel so very fortunate to be in a place where I can disagree with others and not worry about persecution. So, in that spirit, I am going to offer my thankful things.

First of all, I am thankful that I can live in a place where my friends and I can vehemently disagree about anything and everything without fear of being sent to jail or disappeared.

Second, I am thankful that I have friends that will engage me in discussion and debate about anything and everything out there. My Facebook feed is something that is very interesting to read. The differences between my friends' opinions keeps me thinking.

Third, I am thankful for the availability of things in this place. I try not to take it for granted that I can get what I want and need when I can afford it.

Fourth, I am thankful for my profession. I am thankful for the pioneers, for the founders, for the educators, but I am especially glad for those of you who go out, day after day, to the homes, clinics, schools, hospitals, and other places where music therapy happens.

Have you ever really thought about our profession? We could have all the researchers researching the effect of music on human behavior in the world, but without a clinician to put that research into practice with an actual human, where would the profession actually be? The answer? It wouldn't be anywhere. There have to be practitioners in order for something to grow, so I am thankful for you.

I am finally thankful for the clients who decide that music therapy is something that they want or need to engage in to accomplish their goals. Without them taking a chance on us as therapists and on music as a therapeutic modality, there wouldn't be a place for our profession at all.

I wonder who the first client was....

Happy Thanksgiving, friends in the States. Happy Thoughtful Thursday, everyone else!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA