The Ups and Downs of Life

Today has been a busy day and it is only 10:30-ish in the morning. I awoke at 3am (still trying to get used to the time change) and immediately started to work on tasks for the Online Conference for Music Therapy, Inc. It's almost time to open up registration, and I need to finish several things before we can do that. I was able to get almost everything finished, now I wait for others to do their parts. Then, I took my car to be serviced - I got a message that I needed a "B 123" service - $256 dollars later (after a $50 discount), I then went to the post office. I received a Bonus mailing from one of my favorite music therapy resources, Music Therapy Mailings.  I am currently in between mailings, but I will subscribe again pretty soon.

I'm home now, blogging, cooking, and making plans. There is chicken in the crock pot and an almost empty freezer to start filling again. Before I can make too much more for my freezer, I need to grocery shop, so lists are being made for my trip tomorrow. I'll shop for things to make during the Thanksgiving celebration and my long weekend next week.

In between chores and tasks, I am thinking.

I will be moving to a new space for music therapy in two weeks. The space is 4 times bigger than the space I have now. It is abysmal when it comes to soundproofing, but there is SPACE! I've spent the past two days contemplating what this change will mean to me as a therapist and to my clients. I vacillate between giddiness and hesitation - I've been "given" space before and it has been taken away - over and over again.

My custom-built cabinets are not coming with me, but I will have an office with a locked door that will be able to store some of my things. I could start up my internship again. The room is at the north end of the building - very much away from the noises that I have been experiencing, but also part of a completely new soundscape.

This change is unexpected, but VERY welcome. I am moving from a very close space (especially when you cram 11 students, 4 staff members, and me into the room) to an almost too large room. I will make it work.

There are implications for the types of therapy I will be able to do pretty soon. The first is that movement will be possible again. The second is splitting up contentious clients through moving them to different parts of the room. The third is that I can have a separate area for lessons and individual treatment that can remain ready for those types of sessions rather than having to be hauled out of closets three times a day. I could also do centers as part of my treatment including sensory stations, listening stations, instrument stations, and other types of stations as well.

Now, I just have to live through the next couple of weeks until things start to change...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA