The End - AMTA16 is Over For Me

I am getting ready to take stuff out of my home away from home and start the process of driving back to my permanent home right now. I decided to wait until after sunrise to leave so I could drive unfamiliar roads in the light and familiar roads in the dark. I have a couple of hours to pack things up and prepare myself for the time in the car.

I bought an iPod charging cord, so I will have tunes and videos to listen to as I go across this country. I also have CDs, including a brand new one from the Athens County Community Choir (one of the presentations I went to yesterday) that has (shudder) holiday music on it. I'll probably NOT crack that one since I refuse to do the holiday music thing until AFTER Thanksgiving, but I have something new to listen to, if I need to do so.

I am glad to be on the end of this conference time. I enjoyed being able to attend presentations (something my former roles with AMTA did not really allow me to do). I was happy to agree to four different presentations this time around because I love talking to other music therapists about things. I think both of my solo presentations were well-received by the attendees. Both of the duet presentations went well as well, but we didn't have many people who heard about what we were talking about. I did meet someone that I knew - neither of us were sure how I knew her name, but I did - and she seemed REALLY interested in the Online Conference for Music Therapy. We have a new volunteer, everyone!!

I have about an hour before I want to leave the room I've been in since Tuesday. I have everything corralled and awaiting the last additions (like my nightshirt and water bottles) before I take everything down to the car and then check out. I have a new outfit to wear (I realized I really didn't pack a really comfy travel outfit, so I found a store and bought something) and my map is in the car. It is almost time to leave.

I missed friends who weren't here. I spoke to everyone who spoke to me. I was pleasant even when my emotional mind was screaming at me. I escaped to my room when I needed to, but found that I really didn't need to very often. I went to some concurrent sessions and CMTE courses that reminded me of things that I already knew, but had forgotten. My creativity was sparked over and over again, and I found that I had lots in common with other people sitting around me - and more than just our common professional title, music therapist.

I am glad that I have tomorrow completely off and at home. I am also glad that there are only six work days before Thanksgiving break. At that time, I will be able to completely synthesize the events of this past week and move forward on everything I've experienced and created here.

AMTA16 is over for me. See you in St. Louis next year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA