Presentations - Things I've Been Talking and Talking About

Yesterday, I presented on a topic that I've been writing about for quite a time now - becoming more research-informed in my life and clinical advocacy. If you read this blog on a regular basis, you've been through this process with me. If you are reading for the first time, you can search the label research-informed to find my pathway through this process.

The session wasn't packed (but I never really expected it to be) and it was one of 6 presentations on how to use research in clinical practice, so I think that the number of folks who came was quite respectable. I had about 18 (I think) who came to hear me natter on an on about how I try to keep research in my clinical life.

The one comment that came up over and over again was "Thanks for being so honest about your guilt and process. That was very helpful."

I'm glad that honesty was something that was valued.

I try to be as honest as possible when I write, when I talk, and when I interact with others. I try. I think society as a whole prefers to hear happy things and not always the honest things that happen to us, but this is my blog, so I use it to work out problems, thoughts, and conundrums. In that process, honesty happens.

There are times, however, when my honesty is not appropriate. I usually don't post those contributions.

Anyway, I am getting ready to present on another something that I talk about lots and lots - therapeutic music experience (TME) development. In this case, we are going to talk about developing TMEs specifically for young adults with developmental disabilities - a forgotten population, in my opinion. We often provide many services for children and adolescents, but those services stop abruptly when individuals age out of education. Young adults don't stop needing our services though, but the resources available change significantly.

I am hoping that folks in that session help me come up with some new ideas for things to do with our mutual clients. I think they will because they really won't have much choice. The presentation is a workshop and is something where I want people to talk to each other. I hope they will.

After that, I think I have time to get one more presentation in before I go to on to the rest of the presentations I am helping with today. After all of that, I plan on coming back to my room, compiling the contributions of others into a document and then uploading it to the website.

Thanks for reading, all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA