Music, Music, and More Music

My trials with iThings continue, and I am being proactive this weekend by replacing all of my music files by ripping my CDs back onto my computer, but in a more local folder this time. Translation? I'm spending lots of time ripping CDs. I'm also NOT hooking up the iPod to the computer until after I am finished with most of my music files.

I find this to be an interesting trip down memory lane. I can remember details of clients who requested specific songs which led me to purchase the CDs in the first place. I can remember when I first heard specific songs and the extramusical associations come flooding back. I remember how powerful music is in my life and in the life of others when I go through my CD collection.

My music collection is eclectic. Now, I don't use that word lightly. It is not something that I just toss around, but in this case, I think it is apropos. I suspect that most music therapists have a collection of music that includes fugues and fingerplays, soundtracks and singles, and every type of genre imaginable. I love putting my device on shuffle and then listening to songs from Sesame Street followed by songs by Nirvana and then followed by world music from the Congo. While music listening is not always part of my self-care routine, when I do listen to music, I am not often satisfied by listening to only one thing. I like the variety of music that I have available to me.

I have had different songs running through my head this weekend. I think some of that is due to a lack of stimulation and the rest is because I am mentally revisiting some of the CDs that I am ripping. My mind is full of music, even though I am not really listening to any of it right now. Unfortunately, the songs that my brain chooses to revisit over and over again are not ones that I enjoy, but they eventually go away to be replaced by some other piece of music.

I would like to know what music you enjoy. Let me know in the comments about your favorite song, or composer, or performer, or group.

I'll start:
  • favorite song - really varies based on my mood, but I keep going back to What Do You Hear In These Sounds by Dar Williams, and The World Ain't Slowing Down by Ellis Paul. Right now, both of those songs give me things to think about.
  • favorite composer - Sibelius. No question. I love the music of Sibelius and seem to have some sort of innate recognition for his music. I can be listening to something that I've never heard before and just have a gut feeling that it was written by Sibelius. (I've never been wrong. It's the same type of feeling that I get with the modes...)
  • favorite performer - That's hard to choose. I really don't like watching people perform, mainly due to the ways that people move when singing. I cannot stand people who have to flutter their hands around in order to sing. If I have to choose, I choose Kristin Chenowith. There.
  • favorite group - Straight No Chaser - especially during the holiday season. Check them out!
What are your favorites? Let me know in the comments below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA