Being Away - From the Computer, From Routine, From My Regular Life

It is almost time to go be surrounded by over a thousand music therapists from around the world. I think I have my computer stuff ready (I need to check about my documents and such - I have two presentations that may need serious work in the next 48 hours due to computer trading, upgrades, and re-trading - more on that later in this post), and I know that I am ready for the shift from my regular life into the surreal life that is the American Music Therapy Association National Conference.

This past week has been interesting in that I finally got my new new computer set up with all the apps, programs, and settings that I wanted and then the old new computer came back. I now have my original computer - the one I bought 11 weeks ago, and we will see if it is no longer corrupt (their term, not mine!). I should be getting a full refund for the new new computer in a couple of days. Hooray!!

As a result of having to reset the new new computer, I haven't really been as faithful of a blogger as I like over the past few weeks. As I've been hobbled by lack of ability to engage in this manner, I've found that I really miss not being able to write. This routine has become something that I truly enjoy - thinking about music therapy and my roles in the greater world of music therapy and writing about me.

It is time to shift into pre-conference mode and get ready to be around other music therapists. Music therapy conferences are both relaxing and stressful simultaneously. It is wonderful to be around so many other people who understand what I do, but it is stressful because of the social expectations and requirements. This conference, I have to sit up front at several of the large meetings. That's not where I usually hang out. I am most comfortable when I am towards the back, on the far left side, using two seats for me and my stuff. If I can, I head for the end of the row so I can get out if I need to. If you are ever looking for me in a business meeting or opening ceremony, look towards the fringes. I'll be there! Except for this year, I'll be in the front - hopefully at the end!

Conference invigorates me and challenges me. It also stresses me out and makes me very tired. All of the hugs and small talk and thinking wears me out. All of the thinking and listening and conversation opens my mind to new ways of understanding this thing we all do - music therapy.

This year, I'm kinda at a loss for what to do. I no longer have to go to meetings so I guess I'll be spending lots of time in concurrent sessions. I'll leave my laptop in my room so I can focus on presentations by taking notes. I'll take one of my AMTA notebooks to write my notes in - then I can doodle, make mind maps, and synthesize what I'm hearing into my own life. I also have four presentations of my own to lead, so I'll have my own things to do and prepare for during the conference. I start my own presentations on Friday prevening (Big Bang Theory reference) and will have three presentations the next day. One of them is an eight minute blast, so it's not taking up too much of my time for preparation. One is my own and the other is for the Online Conference for Music Therapy. By Saturday afternoon, my role as presenter will be done. Then I can completely relax. I may spend late Saturday afternoon in the lagoon.

Anyway, I am now back to the computer and to writing. I'll blog during the conference - possibly at odd hours, but I'll keep writing. It's time to get back to my regular writing routine.

See you next week? If so, please stop me and say hi.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA