Thoughtful Thursday: Making Up My Mind

"Strength is a matter of a made up mind." ~ John Beecher

I went searching for something to think about this morning as I was flailing about, trying to come up with something to write about today, and found this quotation.

I am exhausted and going into a day of difficult sessions. I have terrible allergies right now and just want to stay in bed and cuddle with the cat all morning. If I can stick it out, tomorrow is an individual-only day (no group treatment), and I get Monday off to go to the doctor and to have some "me" time. Then, I have three and a half days and another 3-day weekend. At this point, right now, I am dreading going to work and giving myself a headache thinking about it.

It's time to make up my mind.

Strength is an attitude as well as a trait. I am not physically as strong as I would like, but I try very hard to be strong in attitude. Sometimes, I am strong. Other times, I am not.

My strength is foreknowledge and years of experience. I know that one particular client is targeting others physically. I know the ones that the client is currently threatening. I will do what I can to keep the attention on me and not the peers. The session itself is low-demand. No one is able to do anything remotely like music therapy this week (including me), so that group will be playing with manipulatives rather than making music.

My strength comes in my knowledge of people, my awareness of what is happening within the group, and my dedication to what I do for the people I am around.

I am going to put on my strength as I put on my uniform and go into the work world.

Happy Thursday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA