Thoughtful Thursday: The Benefits and Drawbacks of Technology in the Music Therapy Session

I had to be gone for a day due to continuing technological issues that I have been having. I hate it when things just simply stop working, ESPECIALLY when the thing that stops working is less than 3 months old and contains everything that I need for upcoming presentations (one in less than 14 hours) and all of my ways to connect with the outside world. Needless to say, I spent most of the last 24 hours trying to figure out what I was going to do without technology.

My answer?

Take the useless computer back to where I bought it, get a new computer while sending out the other one to see if it can be fixed, and then spend some time setting up this new computer. I have the ability to bring back the new one if the old(er) one can be fixed. If it can't be saved, then the computer company owes me my money back (gotta love warranties).

The best thing about yesterday was when the Geek Squad guy couldn't get it to work either! There is a bit of justification when the malfunction happens in front of the "fixers." I hate it when something doesn't work at home but works when you get someone to look at it. I felt justified yesterday when he couldn't get it to work either.

The worst thing about yesterday was having to pay for another computer so soon after paying for the other one. I won't be able to buy frivolous things at the conference next month - just one small, high-quality item. Poor me (insert lots of sarcasm here).

ANYWAY...

Enough about my travails in the world of technology these days. Let's get to the music therapy point, shall we?

In these days of screens for everything, I think we often use them a bit more that we really need to. They are convenient tools and can store so much information that it is almost natural to use them in all aspects of what we do as therapists. Kids take to screens naturally and are attracted to what they can do with electronics. 

The problem with technology playing a lead role in music therapy sessions is that of dependence. Music therapy becomes something you go through in order to play on the iPod or the SMART board or on YouTube.

What happens when things stop working?

My music therapy clinic is a screen-free therapy space. This is purposeful. My students have so many different screen things that they do during their education. I didn't want to become dependent on what I could do with a screen, so I opted for different instruments instead of getting a SMART board. I only really miss the lack of a big screen when I am not in the therapy room - I usually leave music movies for my groups to watch. They complain about my television (circa 1984) which switches back and forth between vibrant color and muted colors. My attitude? Tough.

I want to make music therapy a place where my clients don't spend time playing with apps but where they play real instruments and engage with others.

Now, this is just my opinion about screens in music therapy. I know that there are many therapists out there who use iPads and other devices to assist their clients in accomplishing goals and objectives. I know that these devices assist music therapists that need to access lots of different songs that may be unfamiliar to them. I also know that without endless information at my fingertips, I have to rely upon my knowledge of music theory to help me figure out music in the moment.

Now, don't think that I am completely technology-free in my music therapy life. I am certainly not, but I am free of computer devices when I am in music therapy sessions (except for the iPod - I always have the iPod, just in case). This is because of my difficulty with electronic things (as illustrated by my recent frustrations with my computers) and because I try to figure out ways to engage my clients without something to plug in.

I am going to spend some time today looking at things that I can do with technology that I've never done before, but I don't think I will bring these into the music therapy environment just yet.

Happy Thursday. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA