Deep Thinking on This Friday Morning

Is it really Friday? I definitely hope so, but I'm really not sure. There haven't been many typical things happening this week, so I have lost track of time and my routine. I think it is Friday...

Anyway, I have spent some time lately thinking about thinking.

I spend lots of time thinking about my version of music therapy in my corner of the world with my clients. This view of music therapy is very narrow - informed by my experiences and philosophy. It is my way of doing music therapy. This local view of music therapy is something, but it is not all that music therapy should be.

I firmly believe that my way of doing music therapy is not the only way or even the best way for others - it is simply the best way for me to do music therapy right now and right here.

I used to have the task of thinking of music therapy in a more global manner. It was challenging to break out of my own opinions, but it was also very enriching. I haven't thought in that way for quite a time now.

I think there is a danger in narrowing my view of music therapy into only this space and this time.

The best thing for opening my eyes to what music therapy is for others is talking to those others about how we do our work. I spend time talking to interns about what I think music therapy is. I often challenge them to contradict me, challenge my ideas, and talk about what they feel about definitions, opinions, and other ideas that may be contradictory to what we've learned in our music therapy education. Most of them rarely interact with me in that way, but I hope that they start to think about music therapy in a more inclusive manner after our conversations (albeit, very one-sided conversations).

The other thing that helps me figure out how my view of our profession differs from that of others is the Online Conference for Music Therapy. This international conference offers me a glimpse into the role of music therapy in areas all around the world. I love hearing from music therapists from Greece about how music therapy is working with refugees fleeing from Syria. I find discussions with therapists from India to be very enlightening. I always end up feeling stimulated and challenged by that conference experience - my view of music therapy seems very narrow when I hear about how others spend their time practicing.

I wish I had enough money to purchase every single music therapy text ever written. I would spend time reading all of the thoughts of the great music therapy philosophers, technicians, and theorists. I would want to see what they have in common and where they diverge. I know that there is something that we all have in common. For me, that commonality is the purposeful application of music for the benefit of our clients. I wonder if others would see that as well.

Deep thoughts for this Friday. I'm going to work, so I'll see you later! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA