Supplemental Sunday: My Visual Inspiration Compilation

Apparently there is a name for the thing I'm going to talk about right now, but I don't know that fancy name, so I'm going to call it my picture book.

I have a book full of pictures that I keep around for visual inspiration. 

These pictures are from magazines and came from advertisements more than anything else. When I see a picture that I like, I cut it out, post it on blank paper, and then put it in the book. Then, when my creativity is at its lowest, I flip through the book, looking for inspiration. Know what? I always find some in that book.

There are strange looking fruits. I have advertisements for things that make me curious. I have pictures of celebrities that I've chosen due to the composition of the picture or the topic matter. Whatever catches my attention goes into the book.

The benefit of this collection, for me, is that it provides me with inspiration when I need it the most. I am a visual learner and I think best through visual manners - mind maps, drawing, flow charts, graphic organizers, supplementals - all those things help me organize my thoughts and processes. If all else fails, I use these unique pictures to spur my creative process.

I can take any of the pictures that I've collected and write a song about it. While I may not have too many uses for a song about snowshoes, grappears, or a man dressed in pajamas submerged in a bathroom, writing songs can inspire therapeutic music experiences (TMEs). Shifting away from the work-related composition into something just plain old fun can inspire other thoughts and challenges. 

 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA