So Far Out of the Comfort Zone

I did something today that is shaking up my view on what could possibly be. I contemplated a future with a completely new music therapy population and a slew of new challenges and possibilities. I am simultaneously excited and terrified of this situation, but I have made a commitment to me and to exploring what is possible.

Yikes! I am going to sit over here, in my corner, and just shake for a time...

For weeks, I've been talking about the need to shake things up in my life. I think this will do it - it's already making me think about our profession in a new way.

I have always made a pledge that I would examine opportunities that came my way even if I wasn't looking for something new to do. This has led me into many new experiences that have enriched my professional life. I was asked to apply for a job several years ago. The entire experience was life-changing - it showed me that I really didn't want that job! It reinforced my ideas of what I wanted and needed in a job - that job wasn't it! That was one of my most valuable lessons ever!

In 2010, I answered an email looking for someone to collaborate on an online conference. That one email led me into a job that I enjoy - treasurer and continuing education director for the Online Conference for Music Therapy, Inc. It has stretched my comfort zone when it comes to all things online, but those stretches have led me into my own path. I wouldn't be offering intern webinars right now if I had skipped over that email.

Exploration of new opportunities and ideas leads me into all sorts of things. I'm currently working on a project with a good friend of mine (who seems to stretch my ideas of what I could be on a regular basis) that will change my focus a bit as well. I am excited about things changing, but it can be scary as well.

I know that my clients often feel this way about their lives. Change is scary, so we don't always seek to change, but change is also necessary for growth.

I see the job of therapist as someone to introduce the idea of change to clients. It is important to offer opportunities and options along with some information about reality and the process. The therapist provides challenges and guidance but is not in charge of making that change happen - that is the job of the client.

Oh, I am getting into other thoughts right now.

Here's a challenge for you. If you feel in any way stuck, bored, or complacent about being in your professional role, figure out one thing to do that will scare you. Do that thing.

Join me outside of the comfort zone. You never know where it might take you.
www.musictherapyworks.com
Leave the safety zone for the unknown...
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA