Mundane Tasks Make Self-Care Happen

I know it's late, but here's the blog post for today. (So sorry, Janice!!)

I woke up this morning, finished a couple of tasks, got distracted by one of my games (it gave me unlimited lives, Janice, UNLIMITED LIVES!), and then had to get ready for the appointments that I had to do. Now that the tires are rotated and balanced, I can focus on thinking about my blog post.

Today is a day for self-care through the completion of tasks. 

I have taken care of my car care, I went shopping at Target, and now I am eating a late breakfast/early lunch. I went shopping before I ate, so I ended up with lots of stuff for lunches for the next month and not much nutritional value, but I am going to enjoy these things as well.

The next step in my self-care day? Talking to my parents. They will call as they go through their own Saturday morning routine - breakfast at McDonald's, grocery shopping, trip to the post office, to another store for more shopping, and then home. These weekly check-ins take up about an hour of time and keep me in touch with parents who are far away. I will probably speak to my brother as well. My sister probably won't call today - she may contribute to my parents' call later today.

Checking in with my family is a crucial part of taking care of me (and I have to take care of me before I can take care of others). Without those conversations, I would feel very isolated from the world around me. So, they call, and we talk.

The rest of my self-care plan is not really defined yet. I know what I need to do - go grocery shopping for food for the month, paying off my student loans (Hooray!!), laundry, dishes, and vacuuming - but I'm not going to stress about when these things get done. I will work on things until my attention shifts and then will choose something else to do. Things will get done, and my to-do list will continue to grow and grow.

There is joy in these mundane tasks, and I'm going to grab every last bit of joy in taking care of myself as I possibly can!

See you tomorrow.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA