Adapting to What's In Front of Me

I had a meltdown last night.

I was frustrated, my computer decided to keep updating itself while I was using it to host a webinar, and I sliced off the top of my pinky toe in the middle of all of the other angst. As I was trying really hard to get my computer updated and back online for the webinar, I cried frustration tears, cursed a bit (mildly - I'm still afraid of my mother coming to wash my mouth out when I cuss), and had a mini frustration fit. I was able to compose myself and move back into the idea of being a presenter once the computer started up again.

I had to remind myself to use my coping skills and that a computer that is interrupted from its job during its job is not a tragedy, it is really a gift. It was difficult to be mindful and appreciative in the situation itself, but I was able to find some humor in the situation once it was all over.

I think that being able to adapt to whatever comes is an essential skill for a music therapist. I try my best to remember that it isn't always important that my plan for something be completed, but that my client moves towards his or her therapeutic goals. I have been trying really hard to cling to a session plan these days, but I feel that I am most effective when I let my agenda go and move with my clients rather than forcing them to do what I say when I say it!

Over the years, I've developed a basic idea about behavior management - negotiables and nonnegotiables. This idea has made it easier for me to follow my clients and be flexible in my treatment planning. Nonnegotiables are the things that have to happen in order for us to complete TMEs and/or to keep safe in the music therapy space. Negotiables are everything else that happens.

My session strategy includes anything and everything that we can do that maintains our safety and the safety of others. If my client is not interested in playing the drums but really wants to play the keyboard - that is within the "negotiable" range. Changing the instrument will not threaten our safety, so why not change. Safety issues and concerns require me to intervene and become the responsible adult in the room - a nonnegotiable. 

With this idea in the back of my mind, I can adapt to just about any situation (and have - sometimes well and sometimes not so well).

There are times, however, that just call for a little frustration fit before you adapt. Darn that Microsoft!

It's Friday, all! Have a great day and look forward to the weekend!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA