Signs From the Inspiration Box

I have a small box full of inspirational quotations that lives on or near my desk at home. It came in my first package from Music Therapy Mailings, and it has been the source of many thoughts, blog posts, and mindful moments. This is a post inspired by the last two cards I pulled from the stack.

www.musictherapyworks.com
The cards - What do you think they are telling me?
I use a random approach to choosing my inspiration. Basically, I pick up the box, shake out the cards, and choose the one that feels right on my fingers. That one goes up front.

The last two cards have been about following passion where it leads.

Fortunately, I know that these two cards are true, at least for me. Following my heart and what I love is how I found music therapy to begin with, and it is what keeps me in this profession. Most of my current wishes include things that are not related to music therapy at all.

That is actually a relief. I often think about burnout, compassion fatigue, and reasons why people stop being music therapists. I have only felt that music therapy wasn't the profession for me once in my career, and it was a work relationship issue. Once I realized that, I was able to resolve the issue and return to a happy attitude about my profession.

These days, I am thinking about what I want to do for the rest of my professional life. I still want to be a music therapist, but I am not sure that I want to spend the rest of my career where I am sitting right now. The problem is that I don't know what my passions are or what I want to do.

I have never been a person who has been able to see what she wants. It is much easier for me to see what I don't want rather than what I do want. My brainstorming and thinking will be centered around what I don't want to do and then will gradually shift into what I do want to do. I've always believed that life is too short to be miserable in what you do, so change it and find your happiness.

Where do you want to go? What are your passions? Those are the questions I'm going to be focusing on in the next couple of days.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA