Finding a Song - Using Music Theory to Make a Song Into Therapy


Everyday, I see posts on social media that go a bit like this...

I want to learn some more songs to sing with my [fill-in population details here]. My song repertoire is getting a bit stale. Thanks in advance (most often "TIA").  - Many different music therapists
I often roll my eyes, rant and rave a bit, and then move on. I don't respond when folks post things like that, mainly because I think that there are no songs that are specific to only one population and that ANY song can be adapted to work with any person sitting in front of you in a therapy session. I also think that there are so many different sources available that asking someone else to do a google search for you is just plain old silly. Take the 15 seconds and do your own search!

Rant over.

In my years of being a music therapy clinician, I have found that the song really doesn't matter. By shifting my focus from "song" to "music," I was able to find a deeper understanding of what was happening with the music in my sessions. 

Here's what led me to this realization.

I was noticing that my clients responded to my songs differently every time I used them in sessions. Sometimes I would get great responses from my clients and other times the clients wouldn't respond at all. I started to wonder why.

After MANY years, I had a breakthrough. It was thanks to a specific client and a very patient practicum student who allowed me to manipulate the tempo of the music she was presenting during a session. The client would respond in a predictable manner when the music was presented at 80 beats per minute. It didn't matter what song was being played, it was the tempo that directed and spurred on the client's response.

I took this realization back into my music therapy clinic with the children and adolescents that I serve. For them, the song itself matters a bit more, but how the music is presented is also very important. If I want my clients to engage in a song, I have to frame the song in a way that they can access. This means using my knowledge of music theory and the psychology of music while I am leading sessions.

For me, the most important part of music is tempo. If I can find a comfortable tempo for my client, I can use music more effectively. They can coordinate responses, engage in making music independently, and initiate interaction with the music and with me.

Once I've figured out the tempo, the other elements of music come into consideration - pitch, rhythm, harmonic structure, form, style, lyrics, tessitura, meter, melodic structure, therapeutic intent.

In my opinion, any song can be a therapeutic medium IF the therapist is able to form the music around the needs and strengths of the client. It is the therapist's job to make the song into a therapeutic music experience through adapting musical elements to each and every client.

This is something that continuously challenges me in my day-to-day experiences as a music therapy clinician, but I continually take up that challenge. Sometimes I meet the challenge, sometimes I fail, but I continue to strive towards the best music therapy experience for my clients.

If you are interested in ways to think about the musical elements within a song, click on the Song Synthesis Sunday label on the left side of this blog - it's in the list of labels. There are many examples of the mind maps that I use to organize my way of thinking about songs through their musical elements.

As always, comments, questions, and concerns are welcome! Comment here... 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA