TME Tuesday: The Reasons Behind

This will not be my traditional TME Tuesday post - I am currently enjoying the early morning hours of World Music Therapy Day as well as the aftermath of Independence Day here in the states - so just be prepared.

Today's post is called, "The Reasons Behind." This is a brand-new idea that is floating in the back of my head. I intend this to be a song that addresses the reasons that I have for doing what I do - music therapy. This is not really a song intended for therapeutic purposes at this point, but I think it will be readily adaptable to some clientele. (My kids, probably not so much, but I could see this type of song being the TME for a group of people exploring their own patterns...hmmm).

I go into songwriting through different paths.

Sometimes I start with lyrics. Other times, a melody line floats into my head. Today, I feel compelled to start with a chord progression.

I've been obsessed with a specific chord progression lately. It comes into my fingers in those moments when I am sitting by myself in the music therapy room, warming up my voice and my guitar fingers. I don't have any songs with this pattern in them, so the progression just stays in my head. I've promised myself that I will figure out a song to go with the progression, and I think today is the day.

The progression is as follows:
I///IV///I///IV///vi///V7///vi///V7///I///IV///I///IV///vi/V7/I///I///
(4/4)

Lyrics are coming to me. (This is a first draft, of course.)

It's important to think about the reasons behind choices.
It's important to explore the whys.
The reasons behind my becauses show me the path I choose to take.
The reasons behind. (Maybe repeat this phrase??)

My life is one full of music, rhythms, and melodies.
I get to play music all day.
I have the privilege of watching others change in the course of a song.
These are some of the reasons behind.

This is a start.

What are your reasons behind being a music therapist? Why do you do this job? Why did it choose you to begin with? Share in the comments!

Happy World Music Therapy Day!

July 5, 2016 www.musictherapyworks.com
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA