Presentation Proposals - I'm batting .500

I have now heard about all of the presentation proposals that I submitted for consideration for the annual American Music Therapy Association's national conference. Two were accepted and two were denied. I am pleased that some of them were accepted and am feeling defensive about the ones that weren't accepted. (I always feel this way when I face rejection - I get defensive.) Now, however, it is time to focus on the information that I have to share with others and get it out there.

Presentations are something that I enjoy. I have always liked being the center of attention when it comes to speeches (I don't feel as comfortable in smaller social situations, but put me in front of a microphone with an audience, and I am ready to go!), and presentations are just plain old fun! 

This year, I get to talk to others about becoming a more research-informed clinician and about things to do with music therapy and young adults with intellectual disabilities. In addition, I get to talk to folks about the Online Conference for Music Therapy, Inc. in two separate forums. I won't be as busy as I have been in the past several years, but now I get to attend other presentations and see what other people are doing out there. I will have a couple of new products to share with others and will be able to spend some time sharing those products with interested parties (I am NOT good at marketing at all, but I will be trying to get better in the next several months - by the way, check out my website here!) I am starting to look forward to this conference in a way that I haven't looked forward to something AMTA-related for a long time.

Now I get the thrill of organizing my presentations. I'm one of those people who submits an idea but doesn't flesh it out until after it has been accepted. I've done lots of work with age-appropriate and developmentally-appropriate therapeutic music experiences for young adults, so that organization will just be compiling information and setting up a presentation format that will encourage others to brainstorm and experience. The second topic, research-informed clinician, is one that I've been working on (updates on the process through this blog - different posts) off and on for about a year. The challenge with that topic is making my process be something that others can understand and use. I'm anticipating about 7 people at that presentation. We will see.

I am also going to submit something to the Online Conference for Music Therapy, Inc.'s conference for this year. It's been a long time since I've presented at OCMT, but this year I'll try. We'll see if it gets through the blind review (I don't choose any of the presentations, but I do get to the be the one who sees all of the information!). I'm thinking about something about one of my passions - using music as a therapeutic modality and using the musical elements to enhance therapeutic gains and treatment...hmmm.

It's time to move away from anticipation into reality - I'll be working on my presentations off and on for the next several months. Got to pay my registration fees now, but I'm ready. It's time to get ready for the exotic locale of Sandusky, Ohio!

Will I see you there? If so, are you presenting? If yes, then what is your topic? If not, are you interested in becoming a more research-informed clinician? Will you come to my presentation??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA