Just When Things Were Going So Well...

...life intervened.

I had a very productive weekend, full of cleaning, making things, and feeling good about myself and what was going to happen. And then, in one short message, my feelings got hurt and everything changed.

I'm going to spare you the details because, basically, they are just too difficult to recount at this point, but it led to the impulsive decision to unfriend someone who I thought was a close friend but turned out not to be after all. 

Several years ago, my mother read a book by Elaine Aron, Ph.D. entitled The Highly Sensitive Child: Helping Our Children Thrive When the World Overwhelms Them. I remember her saying that she felt that the book described my childhood. I haven't read the book, but I am thinking that I need to read the version of the book written for adults...done - it's on my Kindle and ready for reading this afternoon.

There are many things that are good about being highly sensitive. I think it makes me more attuned to what other people are feeling. It makes me want to help others solve their problems. It also makes me value my relationships with people a bit more than they do. I think these are things that make me a therapist rather than just a person.

I was always the person who was left with the "undesirable" member of a group. My friends would get tired of being with someone who they felt were "tagging along" and would want to ditch that person at the first opportunity. They included me in the ditching plan, so I guess I wasn't one of the tagalongs (a nickname I've had before). I couldn't do it. I couldn't hurt the feelings of that person, so I would stick with that person while my friends would go off. I always had a good time with the other person and probably enjoyed my day much more than if I had stayed with my so-called friends.

Indication of how I get sucked into the types of situations I'm in now? Probably. I've got to read a bit more before I know for sure...

Know this.

If you are a person who I interact with on a daily, weekly, or even sporadic basis, you make up a significant part of my life. I am the type of person who reads all your Facebook posts, who is concerned with what happens to you, and who considers you a friend. You are important to me.

Thank you for sharing a small part of your life with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA