Headache #2 - Need to Stay Home

Today I awoke in the throes of a migraine headache. I had one last Saturday as well, but I was awake for the beginning of that one. This one was there, full-blast, as I awoke from an anxiety dream about clients who were missing, stealing things from the community, and just generally stomping over my very last nerve.

So, I am taking the day off.

I started my day the way I always start my day, getting up and getting into the shower. The shower just reinforced the need to stay away from all things that make sounds today. Then, the self-talk started. "Can you afford not to be at work?" Yes, it may hurt financially, but I can afford a day off. "Can you desert your clients like this? Ah, welcome, Guilt. I've been missing you. My clients would probably enjoy getting some time in the music therapy room without me telling them what they cannot do. "Can I get back into bed before this headache simply takes over my life?" Yes, I can, and I will!

The problem with my migraine pattern is that it happens without warning, without known trigger, and without treatment options. Migraine medicine contains caffeine which exacerbates several of my other issues, so all I can do is try to sleep it off. I will probably have at least one more in this series because they are cluster migraines. Then, I will be migraine free for a period of months before another cluster starts. After that, there will be years between clusters.

My clients will be fine without me. I leave session ideas and things to do in my classroom that are easily accessible. In addition, the Orff instruments are out (I wasn't planning on being gone today), so there are some novel instruments to try out as well.

The plan for today is to finish up this blog, find something to eat, and then go back to bed.

See you tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA