Thoughtful Thursday: Buckminster Fuller

 A different kind of life.

Hmmm.

This quotation has been living on my desk for the past two weeks, and it has challenged me every time I have paid attention to it.

I know that this quotation was true to what happened when I first heard about music therapy. From that moment, in a dusty music classroom at the University of Evansville, at a fine arts professional seminar through Girl Scouting, I heard the words "music therapy." Just hearing those two words were magic for me. I actually heard an audible click in my brain and knew that I was meant to do this job. I had a similar click when I realized that some music therapy clients were those with diagnoses on the Autism Spectrum. I knew that I needed to work with persons with those extraordinary brains through music and music therapy. Click.

Lately, my life has changed, and I am not sure what I really want to do with myself anymore. I still love being a music therapist. I still love working with individuals in the music therapy environment, but my current environment doesn't really seem to fit me anymore. I am spending lots of time thinking about what I really want to do these days.

I know these things to be true about me.
  • I still want to be a music therapy clinician.
  • I need a job that will challenge me but will still be able to accommodate my changing physical needs.
  • I am a better employee than entrepreneur.
  • I am very interested in helping other music therapists be the best music therapists they can be.
My path is currently unclear, but I am starting to figure out where I go from here. It's kinda funny, but I want to hear a click again. I've heard some little clicks in my head lately during conversations with my friend Janice (not so subtle today, hunh?), but I haven't really been able to think those ideas through to fruition. (That's also part of my problem. I want every thing to be settled before I leap - not always a good idea. Sometimes you have to just jump!)
The one thing I know for sure is that I do find satisfaction in what I really want to do. I always have and always will.

This is the view from the computer this morning. Is it any wonder I can get ANYTHING done?

Happy Thursday, fellow therapists.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA