Running In Circles

There are times when you just have to keep going and going. This is the time of year when I have many different things going on in many different places, and all are doable, they are just all happening right now. So, I go from thought to thought, task to task, and eventually get everything finished.

I have learned to compartmentalize my thoughts and my time. I think this habit used to drive my interns crazy because I had to take time to finish out one train of thought before switching to another. This seemed to be most frustrating for them in the early mornings. That's when I do my clinical documentation and that's when I can think about what my clients did the day before in treatment. My interns would come in during that time and want to chat. I just couldn't do that. It would distract me from what I needed to do and make my documentation time twice as long. I learned how to let my interns know how I needed to work and that I would be able to address them and chat, but it would have to wait until my documentation was finished. They helped me by allowing me to have that compartment of time and thought.

My way of working works for me. I am not stating that everyone should work like me, but it is extremely important to find the way that works for you and TO STICK WITH IT! My 30 minutes on each task/topic/thought pattern helps me accomplish as much as I can during my day. It also allows me to be stimulated and not get sucked into the boredom void.

Today's tasks include OCMT registrations, four music therapy sessions, documentation, (shudder) physical therapy, more OCMT registrations, project for a friend, getting ready for intern webinars (that start next week), arranging 2 evening church services, and looking over a website project for one of my other jobs. In the middle of all of this, I have a student store to arrange (I'm making a catalog for our non-verbal kids to use), IEP goals to look over, and a cat to cuddle.

Circles, circles, circles. I'm off and running today! See you on one of my circles around!!

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:25 PM

    How did you let your interns know to not chat while you were documenting?

    Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice - we talked about it during supervision and discussions about how we learn and work most effectively. I was able to identify those needs and let them know that when I was at the computer, I was thinking clinically. I would greet them, but that was all when they entered. I would announce that I was finished and then the conversation would begin. It took reminders for some, but most were able to respect my need to concentrate.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA