Yesterday...Today...Tomorrow...The Next Day

Yesterday, I spent most of the morning working alternately on my sing about winter project and my kitchen. As a result, the winter compilation is getting larger and larger and the kitchen is pretty well clean. This is good since there are only three days left until I am into recuperation post-surgery and will have some movement and lots of lifting restrictions for a bit. I have to get things under control in the next three days so that I don't trip over things for the next two weeks.

Today, I am going to do more of the same. I am going to work on the sing about winter theme book of therapeutic music experiences and clean up the hallways in my house. There are three short hallways, so I should be able to check them off my list pretty quickly. I was inspired by a post on the blog for Bear Paw Creek, written by guest poster, Kathy Schumacher, about her instrument closet. I've been thinking about converting my front hall closet into an instrument storage system for a while now, and I think I will be ready to do that at some point. I don't think I can do it now, but this is something I could be doing from a chair in about four weeks. I will need to figure out where to put the things that are currently in the closet once I want to put instruments in there, but that's a task for another day - not today!

Today is for cleaning the hallways and writing more TMEs for clients.

The half-hour switch works well for me. It means that I get enough time to see something being accomplished, but I do not get too bogged down in any one task. Yesterday's schedule worked well for about four hours before I shut down - in my defense, I also wrenched my knee pretty severely towards the end of that time. 

So, today, I am going to adjust my schedule and my expectations. I am going to do the half-hour switch thing from 5am to 8am. Then, I am going to take a break to do Facebook things and goof off for a while before starting up for another 3 hour period. After that, we will see what I will be doing. There may be the need for a nap or for a trip to the trash can (though it seems to be a bit icy out there so I am not really all that excited about going outside). The laundry is always waiting as well (right now, the laundry is piled up in the hallway, so that should be taken care of as I am cleaning).

Tomorrow will be church day and then gift wrapping day. The packages have to go out on Monday so they can get to their various locations before Christmas. I have at least one more slipper to crochet before tomorrow afternoon, but that will be pretty easy to do. The slippers work up pretty quickly, and I like making them. The ability to create something out of yarn and a hook just gives me a sense of accomplishment that I enjoy. I also have to finish my amigurami bunny for my new nephew. The bunny needs some eyes, a nose, and a tail - all stitched onto the crocheted body. I've never attempted a project like this before, and I am VERY proud of myself. I hope my new nephew gets to use the bunny. It is meant to be loved.

The flurry of activity and the pressing need to get things done is how I distract myself from my anxiety. As I get involved in cleaning and thinking and creating, I stop fretting and imagining outlandish situations that will NEVER happen, but that my mind envisions. This way, when my emotional mind starts to go off-book, my rational mind can say things like, "Hey, whatcha doing getting all immersed in this kind of stuff. There are t-shirts to be folded. Let's get this going." Then we go.

It is almost 5am and time to start the first half-hour of cleaning. I'll start with the shoe closet and move down the hallway from there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA