TME Tuesday: Kansas City



Folks are starting to arrive, so I thought this might be a good choice for this week's therapeutic music experience (TME). See many of you soon!!

Therapeutic Music Experience
Kansas City
Mary Jane Landaker, MME, MT-BC

Purpose: To discuss concepts of travel; to encourage social interaction through discussion; to encourage verbal interaction; entrainment to external beat; increase awareness of musical styles and genres

Source: Leiber, J. & Stoller, M. (1952). Kansas City. Produced by Bobby Robinson. TME development © 2015 by Mary Jane Landaker, MME, MT-BC.

Materials: Accompanying instrument; OPTIONAL: Map or location cards to prompt interaction and discussion

Environment: Group members need to be arranged in a way where they can hear the music.

Song/Chant/Words: This song has been covered by many performers over the years. Here is a link to a performance by Fats Domino: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mypHZmXdU3o

Basic Blues Chord Format:
(/ indicates beat)
I/// I/// I/// I7/// IV/// IV/// I/// I/// V7/// IV7/// I///

I use alternate lyrics - instead of women, I say, "They've got lots of things to do there, and we're gonna have some fun!"

Procedure: R = Reinforcement opportunities; C = Redirection/Cue opportunities; A = Assessment
1.      C=start to sing the song, substituting any location for Kansas City, if relevant. (May want to make the initial presentation of the song relevant to the location of the client).
2.      A=assess whether group members are entraining to the beat through movement or singing to the words.
3.      R=reinforce all responses to the music.
4.      C=continue to sing the song, offering new destinations and new ways to travel to those destinations.
5.      C=ask group members for suggestions of how to adapt the lyrics.
6.      R=reinforce all responses and suggestions through repeating the song.
7.      Continue to sing until group members have all had a turn to contribute, show signs of disengagement or boredom, or time runs out.

Therapeutic Function of Music:
The repetition of the rhythm, the phrases, the lyrics, and the song pattern provide a predictable intervention that allows group members to engage in entrainment behaviors such as movements, singing, and/or increased attention.

Melody
Pitch
Rhythm
Dynamics
Harmony
Scalar melodic motion; Repetitive; Format doesn’t vary between phrases
Variable based on client preferences or needs
Shuffle pattern – swing feel.
Variable based on client preferences or needs
12 bar Blues – I,I,I,I7,IV,IV,I,I,
V7,IV7,I,I

Form
Tempo
Timbre
Style
Lyrics
Strophic with Bridge
Variable based on client preferences or needs
Variable based on client preferences or needs
12 bar Blues
Repetitive; Variable based on client preferences or needs
Chart adapted from Hanson-Abromeit, D. (2010). A Closer Look at the Therapeutic Function of Music. Presentation at 2010 American Music Therapy Association National Conference: Cleveland, OH.

Adaptations:
·         Use the song to format movement experience.

Extensions:
  • Discuss different places to go and how to get to those places.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA