Check That Off the To-Do List

I write lots about how I love working with interns. I enjoy being a part of their internship experience (even when it's just through a computer screen), and I feel that there are lots of opportunities for interns to network, learn, and grow during that very intense educational capstone. One of the things I don't write about very often is how much I also love to work with internship directors and supervisors. Yesterday, I got to do just that.

The AMTA Association Internship Approval Committee (otherwise known as the AIAC) ran their FREE CMTE course called "Supervising the National Roster Intern." The room was not full, but it is rarely full when there are 300 seats present. There were many, MANY attendees, though. I think there were more people in that room than we have had in many years. There were 80 people preregistered and we sent out information to more people who just arrived and attended.

We talked about topics that are near and dear to our hearts, about things that are difficult to talk about, and how to engage in the practice of supervision with our most precious professional commodity - our students (otherwise known as the FUTURE of the PROFESSION!). I think it was a pretty stimulating conversation...I only saw one person close her eyes during the presentations (when she wasn't supposed to do so), and we startled her awake pretty quickly!

We received a compliment from one of my music therapy heroes that I will truly treasure forever.

After the CMTE was finished, I took myself down to the Take-A-Chance Drawing to look over the display one more time and to take my own chances with winning something. I've been lucky before, so who knows if I'll be lucky this time around. The jar next to my donation had about 15 tickets in it when I left. This was before the actual event started, so I'm feeling pretty good that folks were interested - at least, 15 people were interested! Small steps, folks, and this was a HUGE one for me. I'll do this again next year. It's worth the creative angst to donate something of myself to an organization that does so much for me, both personally and professionally! (Did I ever tell you about the "sorry for your injury" card that folks at AMTA sent me when they found out about my knee? It was amazing and touched me deeply.) Now that I have been through the process, I can do this again. I WILL DO THIS AGAIN!

Thursday is now checked off of my conference planner (thanks again, Janice Lindstrom, for that invaluable tool!), and now I move boldly into Friday. There is a presentation on supervision that I am hoping to attend at 7:30, another presentation on "Mission-Building Writing Workshop" at 9:00, and then the AMTA Business Meeting and Exhibit Spectacular. I get paid today, so I have money burning a hole in my pocket, and the exhibits are calling. Unfortunately, most of my money will have to go towards music therapy theoretical books, but that's also lots of fun for a bookworm like me. After all of that, I have a meeting with the Education and Training Advisory Board that will be in part of all of the rest of the presentations for the day, so no more concurrent sessions for me! I will, hopefully, spend some good time in socialization with friends and new friends before hauling myself back home for another night.

Tomorrow's schedule includes an 8 minute presentation, a roundtable with internship directors and academic faculty members, and two long meetings with the Education and Training Advisory Board. No concurrent sessions for me tomorrow (except the one I have to facilitate). At the conclusion of the conference day tomorrow, I will be finished. Sunday will be a day for me to go to my part-time job and start the process of resting after all of this. 

I'm getting ready to head out here - fed the cat; took my shower; am getting dressed in my "nice" clothes; Mildred in tow; candy in the car; need to go to the bank for spending money (Whoo-hoo!); get gasoline; attend sessions; go to meetings and think; spend some money (Whoo-hoo!); talk to friends!!! See who won my loot, and off we go!!

See you there?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA