There's A Cat Between Me and the Keyboard This Morning

I honestly think that she is trying to keep me from blogging in order to spread her purr and her nuzzles and head boops with me. I love it. While she is sitting in my way - between me and the computer - I have a chance to just bury my nose in her fur and revel in her cattiness.

I am trying to be a bit more mindful in how I approach my days. Now, I am not an expert in mindfulness, but I am learning. I am learning to slow down and observe myself - again. 

According to Psychology Today, mindfulness is defined as "a state of active, open attention on the present. When you're mindful, you observe your thoughts and feelings from a distance, without judging them good or bad. Instead of letting your life pass you by, mindfulness means living in the moment and awakening to experience."

Another definition of mindfulness, from Berkeley, is "Mindfulness also involves acceptance, meaning that we pay attention to our thoughts and feelings without judging them—without believing, for instance, that there's a “right” or “wrong” way to think or feel in a given moment."

Not judging is one of the most difficult things for me when it comes to me. I am my own worst enemy when it comes to judgment. 

"Should I really be spending time cuddling the cat instead of finishing up some tasks?

"Can I justify this nap? I really need to work on the next sing about song packet."

"What should I be doing right now?"

This. This is what I should be doing right now. No judgment. No emotional requirement. Just living in the moment. Today's moment? Cuddling with the cat.

What are your mindful moments? When do you feel most like yourself? When do you engage in experiencing the world around you? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA