Supplemental Sunday: The "Make-Your-Own" Kit

Sundays are the day to post about the visual aids (AKA supplementals) that I make to enhance my therapeutic music experiences (TMEs) to assist my clients in understanding what we are doing (especially the visual learners). 

Now, I have always been of the mindset that there is nothing that we can't do, so I am always interested in showing others how to do things instead of just displaying them. So here we go - a bunch of stuff that is useful when you are making visual aids.


Paper - cardstock and regular weight paper in a variety of colors is important to have at hand. Creativity comes in strange ways, so it's best to have lots of paper around for when those creative urges start up. In addition to cardstock and solid color paper, scrapbooking and patterning paper is something really useful to make things sparkle!

 

File Folders - I make everything to fit into a file folder so that I can easily store them and transport them around. Did you know that they make all kinds of patterned file folders these days? Gone are the days when you can only use manila (though I keep them around for prototypes before I use pretty folders).


 
Other stuff - I collect stickers, small die-cuts, index cards, mini file folders, bulletin board letters, and teacher items in my scrapbooking boxes. I have lots of markers of various types - permanent, not so permanent, metallic, thin line, thick line, and all sorts of stuff. I also have colored pencils of all hues and types. I love my watercolor pencils more than anything else and use them on lots of my visuals.

The last thing that I have in my "Make-Your-Own" kit for visual aids is an occasionally judgmental Bella-cat. Here she is sitting on a stack of zippered pencil cases that were waiting for small visuals. She shows approval (that's how I choose to interpret her behavior anyway) by sitting right dab in the middle of selected projects. I know to keep going with those.

 
If you are ever interested in making any of the supplementals that I feature on my blog, contact me through the website. There are kits and patterns available for a fee. In addition, I have some "how-to" instruction sheets for free. Let me know!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA