Life Interfering

I did something this week that I absolutely hate! I skipped two days of writing, and I really hate that. I try to write daily so that it is a habit. This week, my other lives interfered with my self-care and business blogging routine. Thursday was full of emotional angst, long thoughts and attempts to write an email that would completely illustrate my view while still emphasizing what was wrong, and on Friday, blogging just went completely out of my head. I remembered blogging halfway to work and felt deeply that something was missing from my life. It's amazing how a simple routine can enrich your life.

Anyway, here I am, back again.

This was a good music therapy week. All of my sessions included students doing things they have never done before (in any setting, and all positive). I improvised several songs that had great response - and then I forgot all of those songs - typical. I was approached by several teachers about IEP goals. I spent quite a bit of time just sitting. I finished several tasks that needed to be done, and I will be finishing several more this morning after I blog!

The cat is here, rubbing against the computer screen and trying to distract me from my work. Fortunately, she is too late for the big task I had to do this morning - OCMT presentation votes are finished!! Huzzah! The rest of the folks at OCMT will be contacting presenters with the results in the next several days. I am glad to check that task off my to-do list.

Today I need to finish a presentation for the International Perspectives session at AMTA. I have 8 minutes to talk about OCMT. I can finish an 8-minute presentation in about 30 minutes. Then I will go buy candy for Trunk-or-Treat next week. I will buy an extra bag (or two) of candy that I like for my various AMTA presentations and meetings. IF (and that is a BIG if) I have some left over when AMTA is over, I will have some candy for myself during my surgery recovery. If not, at least I will know that I will have given some people a treat during that very busy time.

You know, I can feel much of my stress of the week coming into perspective. It is amazing how much I have come to rely on this daily practice of writing. Sometimes it's gold, often it's crap, but it's all me!

New music therapy challenge thought - I went to an equine therapy place on Thursday - it was going to be my post topic for Friday. At the end of our time there, several of my peers engaged in a relaxation/mindfulness exercise with the horses. There was Native American Flute music playing, my peers were instructed to close their eyes, breathe, and pay attention to how the horse felt under their hands. About three minutes into the experience, I looked at the horses and all of them had their eyes closed. I asked the leader if they used the same music each time. They do. I asked the leader if they used the same horses each time. They don't.

Here's the question. Do you think the horses were reacting to the music or to the relaxing humans who were reacting to the music? I have my theory, but I also am curious. What do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA