Supplemental Sunday: Books for the Little Bits

I am constantly on the lookout for things that reinforce musical concepts, present songs, or engage my clients in musical expression. If I can find them for less money, GREAT!


Today's supplemental is a bunch of little books that I found at the Dollar Tree - 3 for $1.00! Can't beat that price! They are Sesame Street themed with Elmo, so I only use these with the Pre-K to K groups. They have wonderful illustrations and processing prompts on every page. I have lots of them - 15 different titles to be exact - and my young students enjoy them.

Now, these are not for group consumption. As you can see with the mini mouse for comparison, these books are palm-sized. They are great for children to read on their own or to share with one other person. Since the songs are pretty familiar, kids can sing them independently with a couple of repetitions. (Some of the songs have different words after the initial presentation.) The books are board books, so the pages are really thick and difficult to bend, though it can be done!

I use these for quiet interactions, relaxation sessions, and sharing songs with others. They lend themselves well to word recognition, sound production, and predictive verbalizations. The questions that are part of the story lend clients into vocabulary work and some expressive language skill development as well.

My recommendation? If you find something like this that can address client goals and objectives, snap it up! Get as many as you can because you never know when they will be gone. I'm glad that I buy these when I find them at the Dollar Tree - often they are gone when I go back to the store. 

Ta-da! Mini books for youngsters!
 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA