Supplemental Sunday: A Schedule Board

I guess it's no secret that I enjoy a bit of organization, but that it is something that I struggle with in my own life. I understand the struggles of some of my clients and their need for structure and organization because I struggle in the same ways.

I have some clients who want to know what is coming in the music therapy session. They seem unable to just go with improvisation. They have to know what to expect. When I'm working with a client that is schedule-dependent, I try to introduce the idea of flexibility, using this type of board.

www.musictherapyworks.com
This is a simple visual aid that is primarily a music therapy tool. It doesn't do anything within a Therapeutic Music Experience (TME) but it does support the client within the session. I use this tool to assist the client in living within a schedule and still introducing the idea of flexibility.

This visual aid has several features. First, there are TME and instrument choices on long paper strips. When the board is in use, those long paper strips are stored in the "finished" envelope so the folder can be closed and stored. I often make this a dual purpose board by drawing a picture of the instrument or activity on the other end of the strip. Then I can use the board with readers and non-readers. This version was for readers only; no pictures on the strips. Secondly, there are six pockets for choices so the client and therapist can fill up the session with several different experiences. Third, the strips can be offered based on what is available, giving the therapist some control over what is accessed during the session.

So, how do I use this board to introduce flexibility? If I have a client who is schedule-dependent, I start off by allowing the client to choose all of the TMEs for the session. They choose the instruments/activities, and I make those choices part of their therapeutic program. The client may not change the schedule once it is set. The next session, we take turns choosing TMEs. I pick non-preferred TMEs to see if the client is able to complete things they don't really like in order to get to their preferred TMEs. We continue in this manner, but I start to introduce "surprise" and "mystery" strips. The client doesn't know what will happen during "surprise" and "mystery" TMEs. We gradually increase the number of those types of strips until we no longer need a set schedule to interact in music therapy. We then move into more of a improvised series of TMEs during the session.

When I've made these (and I've made many), I spend time personalizing them for specific clients. I use their preferred colors, visual aids (stickers and characters), and I spend time adding TMEs and instruments that they really like. Sometimes I use numbers so we can work on counting concepts. Sometimes I use pictures to indicate what we are going to do during a session. The personalized schedule board can go with a client when he or she is discharged from treatment. A bit of functionality that the client can take with them. We change the choices to those the client can easily access in the new living environment. It changes the board into something that can be used to structure leisure time once the therapist is not part of the life of the client anymore.

There you go. A Schedule Board to use with your clients. If you want to know more, or get a kit to make your own, contact us through the website.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA