7 Movie Clips to Demonstrate the Use of Music for Non-musical Purposes


One of the things that I did quite a bit ago was teach an Introduction to Music Therapy course for non-majors. To introduce the concept of using music to convey specific emotions, tasks, use of music for non-musical outcomes, I compiled a bunch of clips from various movies from my own movie library. Here they are...
  1. Get Over It  - The use of music to convey emotion - I enjoy the juxtaposition of this upbeat song that describes how love is stronger than any other force on earth, used to illustrate the despair of losing a love that you think is your destiny.
  2. Evolution - The use of music to attract attention - Okay, so it's a prehistoric-type mutant, but he uses his singing to direct attention to him in order to save the girl.
  3. The Muppet Movie (the original one) - The use of music to convey emotion, again. Gonzo sings about his origins.
  4. Gigi - The use of music to spur memories - I love this song and love that they remember things very differently.
  5. Stop, Look, and Listen - The use of music to teach a concept, also music to prompt memories - This version of the song is credited to the performer. I couldn't find the original Disney cartoon.
  6. Mary Poppins - The use of music for relaxation - Again, I think most of my enjoyment of this song is the contrary nature of the lyric to the rest of the music, but this is a good example of how to use music for relaxation. I dare you not to yawn during this song.
  7. Follow Me - The use of music to stimulate movement and specific purpose (marching, camaraderie) - sorry that this doesn't have the movie clip, but you can certainly hear the marching in the music.
These are just some of the ways that the movies in my library demonstrate the use of music for non-musical purposes. 

What other clips do you know? Please let me know so I can include them in future posts and courses. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA