Synthesis Sunday - The Quest for Understanding, Part One

I am trying really hard to understand something that has eluded me throughout my extensive education - why we do specific statistical tests with particular research questions. I've been in about 12 different research courses in my life, and NONE of them have answered my questions about how to determine which test to do. Believe me, I've asked. The statistics folks tell me to talk to the research methodology folks and the methodology folks tell me to talk to the statisticians. It's a run-around that seems to confuse just about everyone. So, I am going to dedicate my reading time and some of these Sundays to trying to understand why specific statistical tests go with research questions.

I started with some old research. I'm currently reading Standley and Prickett's Research in music therapy: A tradition of excellence which was published in 1994. These articles come from the library of research from 1964-1993 and are described as "outstanding reprints." Might as well start with things that are "outstanding," right?

I've been flipping around the book, looking at various articles and trying to figure out what the research questions are and what statistical tests are used in each case. I'm starting a list.

Here's what I want to know. I want to know if there are specific types of research questions where specific statistical tests are indicated...

I am a chart person, so I'm going to start a chart... I've posted it on my website on the Ideas and Experiences tab. Look at the bottom of the page. It's not complete by any means, but it will grow as my knowledge grows.

Author --- Article Title --- Research Question --- Statistical Test --- Reference Information

So, I will write the name of the author, state the title, figure out the research questions and match (possibly) the tests run to the research questions. Then, I will finish up with the rest of the reference information so others can find the articles, if they would like.

What have I found so far?

There aren't any clear indications yet of why folks do what they do. I can understand some of the reasons, but then others seem to need the same level of statistical investigation and do not. Blech. This will continue to be my quest.

Please feel free to check out the pdf that's on the website and see if you have any insights into the process. I would love to know if there is a magic formula or secret code that I've missed over all of these years...

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA