My Plate Is Too Full - Time to Go On a Diet

Do you ever have one of those days where you realize that your plate (either real or metaphorical, like mine) is simply too full?

This morning, I awoke earlier than usual and my brain started working and working and working. It would not quit, and it just kept churning over and over again. So, I got up and started my day.

I started answering emails, planning my day, thinking about committee work, trying to figure out what was the priority, and then getting to the list. The list got longer and longer, but I did get some of the items off my (metaphorical) plate.

This time of year is always a bit too busy. There are reports to file, sessions to plan, people to talk to, other duties as assigned, talent shows and graduation ceremonies to arrange, meetings to sit through, training to complete, housework, documentation, and the list goes on. When we have snow days, I get to take another week off during this time of year to escape some of the tasks that continue to appear. Alas, no snow days this year, so I can't simplify as I usually do.

It is time to go on a diet - literally as well as metaphorically.

I'll not go into the literal diet plans, but here are the metaphorical diet plans.

  • I will not accept any additional responsibilities in the next three months.
  • I will complete only my responsibilities and not do the job of others (especially in OCMT and AMTA)
  • I will make a master list of things I need to do in order to keep track of what I have done as well as what I still need to do
  • I will take time for self-care during these times of increased responsibility
So, what will I prune out of my current diet? I don't know, but I will. I will figure it out. Find the excess and don't sweat the small stuff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA