Where to Start?!?

It is Spring Break day 1 of my staycation, so here I am, sitting in front of the computer, trying to figure out what to do next. I've decided that my staycation will be music therapy-themed...specifically, I am going to go to music therapy websites to see what's going on out there in cyberspace. I think I will start right now...


My first search string was "music therapy clinic" and I took the first four that popped up - not Facebook pages since not everyone has access to Facebook...

ASU Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts
Queens University of Charlotte
CSUN Mike Curb College of Arts, Media, and Communication
University of Louisville School of Music

One of the things all of these sites have in common is a dearth of visuals. The CSUN site has the most pictures to pull in viewers (there are three). As all of these sites are university-based, using a recruitment setting to encourage clients to sign up for services, there is appropriate information about who will be providing services, how services are funded, and something about the schedule.

Going a bit further down the list of "music therapy clinic" sites, you find more and more sites for universities. I guess most of us run-of-the-mill therapists do not have "clinics." Interesting use of terminology to define ourselves, I guess.

I wonder what prospective clients think when they are looking for music therapy services and find these pages. Do they gravitate towards sites that have lots of pictures? Do they want descriptions of music therapy services?

For myself, I like pictures. I like short blurbs about services - demonstrating what potential clients will do during their time in music therapy. There needs to be information about payment and fees. I also like to know a bit about who will be doing my sessions - who are you? What do you like to do? Why are you a music therapist? How do you start a session? Will you make me sing? A bit of information is good for me as a potential customer.

Warning - tomorrow will be a shameless plug for my new book about things to do with adolescents in treatment - it fits in with TME Tuesday. Feel free to skip it if you don't want to read about this new book!

Happy Spring Break!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA