Having To Think More Deeply About Music Therapy

The past 60 hours have been a whirlwind and have encouraged me to continue to think more deeply about music, therapy, music therapy, and me. There is something about being deeply immersed in a new environment with a bunch of other music therapy-minded people to shake up how you perceive yourself and your role in the larger picture of the future of the profession. 

Of course, I usually spend some time thinking about what it is we music therapists do and how we do it on a daily basis, but being around people who know what happens in a music therapy session but who are unfamiliar with me and how I do those sessions forces me to think about music therapy from a wider perspective. Being the focus of a series of question and answer periods forces me to keep on my toes. It is also mentally exhausting.

I love participating in situations where I have to think about what I do and then try to explain that to others. It is fascinating to see how our profession is perceived by fellow musicians who do not practice therapy, how novice therapists see their jobs, and how folks from differing theoretical backgrounds engage in discussion about the small things that make up music therapy.

It's time to be quiet, spend some time alone, and think about the things that happened during this last adventure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA