Germs

I am sick. It's the first day back from Spring Break, and I can't breathe, have a fever, several intestinal complaints, and an aversion to food. I've been through this with a friend of mine and know that the virus has to go its course - if I don't take time to rest and get over this, it will be back with a vengeance.

This is one of the most difficult things that I have to do - not going to work when I'm not feeling well.

There are times, however, when self-care coincides with other-care. This is one of those times. Not going to work will help my clients be healthier in the long-run.

I still feel guilty about not going. 

Is that the mark of a good therapist? Guilt? I don't think so. I think a good therapist realizes that self-care is important and is something that needs to be done, but it is difficult to remember that the first day after Break. 

I need to have priorities, and priority #1 is breaking the fever. The second priority is to eat something more than one partial meal per day. After that happens, I'll go back to being a music therapist. Until that time, I'll be "Sick."

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA