Synthesis Sunday - Sorta

For the past several days, I've been a traveling dervish (not whirling - I get too dizzy), flitting from the center of this country to the East Coast and back again via both southern and northern routes. The purpose of all of this travel (all within 49 hours) was to start on the process of becoming part of a not-for-profit organization - my very first foray into the complexities of business. I am very thankful that I am not alone in this process - there are four others from around the world who are traveling this journey with me - as I think I would be sitting in a corner, loudly wailing in fright and fear at this point without them.

So, you may be thinking. "What's the problem here? Can't you do this?"

If you are, you are echoing my rational brain's thoughts. The emotional side of my brain, however, is shrieking in near hysteria mainly because I seriously have little to no idea what I am getting myself into with all of these new plans and things to do.

Here is what I have learned about being part of a small business here in the United States. First, you have to have a bit more formal proceedings rather than just meandering around without a plan. "So, moved." "Seconded." "All those in favor?" This will be new for us all as we have never really done things formally before now. Second, you have to know what you want to do at the outset, but you have to describe your services in order to provide yourself with options. Third, it helps if you have a common goal or vision, especially when you are working with others in any venture.

Here's something I will be learning in the very near future - how to be an official treasurer and to act as bookkeeper. 

I am counting on this business experience to enrich my professional life outside of this new organization (we're an Inc!) in ways that I have not been able to comprehend previously. Now that I am small part of this new venture, I can start to make decisions about my own role in the world of business - something I have only dabbled in previously.

www,musictherapyworks.com
With wise Bella-cat assisting and overseeing every move, into the breach I go to learn about this strange new world of business methods and expectations.

Always learning something new!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA